
So I was going to make this post on submission a three part post. But I am honestly just too weary and tired to write anything of value. Everything is fine in our household, I just forgot about the "baby brain drain" that comes with a new little one. I just don't feel like spending time to pen something worth reading! I actually started the submission post because a lot of people were confused on my comment that we were getting the house ready to sell. So I will do my best to wrap this up!
As I already explained, Rob and I are very different. One area where this became apparent very quickly in the early days of marriage, was in attitudes towards home decorating and maintenance. There is no moral issue here (even though some people make it one), just simply a difference in preferences. I like neat, clean, pretty homes with nice furniture. I want to pay someone else to do it, too! Rob believes the old saying....." if it ain't broke, don't fix it." So there you go. A difference which had to be worked out.
I adjusted myself to his viewpoint and began to enjoy life regardless of how old the furniture was. I mean, what does it really matter if the house doesn't look like a magazine, I have a husband who loves to spend time on adventures with us. He loves to spontaneously take trips to the beach, amusement parks, skiing and camping. Our children have had a lot of fun with their dad! And he provides so well for us that I've never had a worry. He is home for every meal and always attends the children's events. So I have been blessed beyond measure for adjusting myself to his lifestyle.

So recently, Rob told me that he feels real estate is a good investment right now. And he wants to fix the house up and look for a better house that is a good deal. My first thought was...... "you are telling me that NOW you want to paint rooms, fix the floors, buy new appliances, fix the broken doorknobs, etc and then move out?!" And I really like my house. It is my home. It is very "homey". It has hardwood floors in 50% of the house. I LIKE hardwood floors no matter how scratched they are. My kitchen is big. It meets our needs. But wisdom that has taken many years to acquire won out and I decided not to fight him.

May I just say that I have learned a happy husband is much more important than my comfort and getting my way. When I think about it, I realize that I the situation is a win-win for me anyway

If I trust him and I trust God, it will all work out. I would rather live in a dirty trailer with love and laughter than in a mansion with anger and nagging. Obviously Rob will not make me live in a trailer, but you get my point! So we have been a having a lot of fun purging the house of old stuff, stripping wallpaper and just brainstorming ideas of how to make the house look good for perspective buyers. I am VERY happy about the changes we have made because with less stuff to care for, I feel a lot less stressed. So already I have benefitted from what I initially thought was a CRAZY idea! I am excited to see what will happen over the next year. I think the journey could be fun, too. That's all folks!

It's truly amazing how much we have in common!! Paul and I literally just stuck two "For Sale" signs in our yard today. We have no idea where we are going from here, only that we want to downsize MAJORLY, de-clutter, and pay off all our debt. And we're doing the same thing, as far as JUST NOW getting around to fixing things and doing things. (I SO don't have the energy for this...)
ReplyDeleteOh. By the way, I love all the pictures of Gigi "journeying" all through the house.
Thanks for writing about submission. I find it difficult to submit. On a moment-by-moment basis, in fact. It's in my nature to rebel against anything that isn't my idea! So, you can imagine what all could go wrong in my marriage if I let it. I'm still learning. I'm a work in progress. And I've got a long way to go! I truly appreciate you sharing your insight on the subject.